Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster

Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster
Bernard the Magnificent

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pow Wow Weekend at the Cottonwood Inn

First off, I'd like to thank Bev and Jim of Arizona for the great photos of the two of us with our chickens! Jim took several great shots of the nightly chicken herd in action, as well as several cameo shots of our local glamor-boy-- Bernard. Anyone else who has any good photos of the critters or the place (or yes, even of us) please send them along!

I know I keep yelling it from the rooftops, BUT THE HUMMERS ARE BACK!!! I'm so glad! It was awfully quiet around here without 50 or more of the boys buzzing around outside in the courtyard. Also, our guests had lost that reflexive ducking ability which the hummers had spent all last year teaching them. Yes, they're small, but you don't want one stuck in your forehead.

We've been eating broccoli, broccoli, broccoli from the garden. Also many BS&T sandwiches (bacon, spinach, & tomato). I have been watching the plum trees, and it looks like next week will be the start to "Plum Madness at the Cottonwood B & B"! What does that mean? Well, it mainly means that I will be boiling, cutting, blending, sieving, mashing, pealing, pitting, and generally rolling in plums for at least 2 weeks. We are going to make a double batch of the plum marmalade this year as hungry guests bought every bottle we made last year.

Brantly is also anticipating making loads of Hatch Green Chili Jelly again this year. Hey, I know it sounds weird, but don't knock it until you try it. I will post his recipe as soon as I can winkle it out of him....

If you are fiber crazy, you MUST go to La Lana Wools of Taos! What a great place. I have decided to embrace yet another hobby-- natural dying. I went to La Lana hopeful about using local plants to dye wool felt and didn't come away disappointed. What a wonderful shop with wonderful people running it. The yarn there is to "dye" for (sorry, sorry!), and many of the projects up on the wall are available in kit form. Make sure you bring your wallet when you go.

No comments: