Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster

Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster
Bernard the Magnificent

Thursday, July 16, 2009

German Puff Pancake or Dutch Baby

This is another popular and quick recipe. I have heard it called by the above two names as well as by some unpronouncable name in Dutch. By any name it is a fantastic breakfast or brunch food.

I use the recipe out of Colorado Cache but have doubled it and added zest to the mixture. I have also changed the amount of butter needed for the pan and have lengthened the pan heating time.

The following feeds two:

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon zest
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon unmelted butter for pan
lemons
powdered sugar

Pre-heat oven to 450 and put large cast iron in to pre-heat. Beat your eggs with fork, add milk and flour evenly, add salt, add melted butter and mix well. Remove pan from oven and melt 1 tablespoon of butter, swirling pan to coat sides. Bake for 10-20 minutes, depending on size of pan used. Serve with powdered sugar and lemon squeezed over pancake.

I have found that the super-heating of the cast iron pan really makes for a nice puffy pancake. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to matter how you mix the ingredients, the cake always tastes the same. I started off making them by using the mixer, and mixing for several minutes (this was according to the recipe found in Sunset Magazine's cookbook). This, it turns out, seems to be a waste of effort. However, that may be due to our high altitude. If you are at sea-level, you might want to give the mix a few minutes of beating, I don't think it will hurt the pancake.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Danni said...

Hello and thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I responded to you there re: the chicken saddles.
Just wanted to let you know that Ebelskiver (pronounced Ay-bull-skee-ver) is actually Danish, not Dutch. My mother-in-law's family came from Denmark and my husband grew up with the smell and taste of delicious Ebelskiver cooking in this kitchen. When my MIL passed away, we inherited her pan - very old, very NOT non-stick (LOL) but they are fun and delicious to make. Enjoyed your post - good luck with the Ebel-thingies! :-)
-danni in Oregon

Donnis said...

This is my favorite German Pancake Recipe. I however lost my Colorado Cache Cook Book. Would you by chance have the recipe for the Honey Butter with Cream that was with the recipe? I would really love to have it! Thank you for posting this recipe. - Donnis in Utah

Donnis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.