Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster

Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster
Bernard the Magnificent

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Whoops!


Wow, just realized that people have posted comments on this blog. I didn't know people could do that. Yes, yes, yes. I know it's very sad. To all you folks who've commented since 2009, very sorry to have (inadvertently) ignored you. I'll do better in the future, I promise. Now, if only Barney Sharp Talons would drop me a line....

Today is the second day for the "Rooster Bachelor Pad" experiment. As I've continued to take in random strays I've realized that that the majority of the unwanted birds out there are roosters. This year alone I've added 3 to the flock(Bernard, our head Roo, doesn't seem to mind, actually).

Since the barn is sitting huge, vacant, and insulated, we've decided to try a bachelor pad. Over in The Bach Pad right now are The Buckarooster and Montgomery (Monty, for short. Monty started out life as Monique. Surprise, surprise.)

People say (I've already heard it) "Why do you want a bunch of roosters??" Well, I don't particularly WANT a bunch of roosters, but I do love chickens and these guys play a really tough role in the current backyard chicken trend-- nobody wants them and the rules say you can't have them within most city limits. When they are sans hens roosters are actually quite calm (I can hear all the comments from here). Inside the Taj Mahal (read: barn) with its foot-thick walls is the perfect place to keep potentially noisy critters. Let's put it this way-- The Buckarooster can crow his brains out at 3 a.m. and nobody can hear him. Except for his unfortunate housemates, of course.

The above is a picture of The Buckarooster.

No comments: