Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster

Bernard Pastel by Pamela Koster
Bernard the Magnificent

Monday, March 1, 2010

Shortbread and Easter

Okay-- for those of you who asked last weekend, here is the shortbread recipe I've been using lately. I say lately because I recently changed over to this version, from Sunset magazine. There were a couple of things about their recipe I didn't care for, so I've made those changes and written the recipe as I make them.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 cup cold butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

a couple tablespoons extra of sugar

I cut up the butter into smallish pieces before using my pastry knife. I tried using the standing mixer, as the recipe directs, but it never did crumble and I ended up having to use the pastry knife, anyhow. I made it into pretty fine crumbles because when I didn't, the mix separated while I was trying to press it into the pan. I also poked the finished product with a fork before sprinkling it with sugar. I found that it cooked more evenly with than without the fork-poking. I didn't have large grain sugar, but I do use organic sugar which tends to be darker and a bit rougher grained. I tossed the sugar with a bit of lemon zest to add a bit of something different.

Here is a picture of a piece and also a picture of my new Easter dessert plates, napkins and rabbit napkin rings-- they are too cute to wait until Easter to use them.


No comments: